Saturday 19 April 2014

The second letter, 2014-04-19, to Fredrik

Dear Fredrik,

Thank you for the heart-warming first post! You were the first and only person that came to my mind when I thought of doing an epistolary film blog, and I was very happy to find your response the same enthusiastic. I am sure a lot of green tea would be drunk and I am looking forward to seeing where our shared journey on the web would take us.

Goodbye South, Goodbye (1996) is an opportune choice, not only because I, to some extent, said goodbye to the south. More interestingly, it can open up a discussion on “our favourite Hou”. I don't think we actually talked much about Hou back in our St Andrews years. While waiting to see if Hou's first martial art film, The Assassin (2014), would actually become my favourite Hou, for the time being I am including the Taiwan Trilogy (1989-1995), Flowers of Shanghai (1998) and Three Times (2005) in my shortlist (maybe not that short after all). I do like Goodbye South, Goodbye, but for me this film, along with Hou's other attempts on capturing the Zeitgeist of my generation, like Daughter of the Nile (1987) and Millennium Mambo not as profound and timeless as his gaze towards the past. Without getting into a discussion on Deleuzian Time-images, I find that Hou's depiction of memories and historical trajectories is of a much broader scope and touches upon helplessness of human existence to such a level that makes me deeply sad but lucid during every single viewing. One does not need to be familiar with the geopolitical context of the island in order to see the beauty of irrevocably turbulent past shared by individuals who simply drift along. Yet I never quite get the same sensation from Hou's view of the contemporary. One might think that there is definitely something global in decadent young life under neon streets lights, but I somehow doubt that this is conveyed at all in Zhu Tianwen's script, as much as I admire all her writings; I find that Hou's films about the present are often characterised by repetitive and twisted dialogues, and actors' extradiegetic public images often override their presence on screen. This chain of thoughts also leads me to question how we deal with our own present artistically. How remote do we have to be from ourselves in order to acquire certain lucidity? Is that why we are so obsessed with cinematic rendering of different versions of apocalypse, as we cannot look at ourselves straight into the eyes? Here are my initial thoughts. Happy Easter holidays!

                                                                      Yun-hua