Wednesday 5 November 2014

The seventh letter, 2014-11-05, to Fredrik

Dear Fredrik,

After a long silence, here I am! Hope that this letter finds you enjoying autumn colours and good films! At my end life goes on with its due share of bliss and doubt. After my chance encounter with your external examiner, I thought that it would be a good timing to continue with our epistolary adventure in honour of our PhD days and friendship.

Maybe I will start by talking about the film which lingered in my mind lately, Mohammad Ali Atassi's Our Terrible Country (2014). This documentary follows the Syrian intellectual Yassin al-Haj Saleh's unusual road journey across Syria through desert from Douma to his native town Raqqa, accompanied by the young photographer Ziad Homsi, and subsequently to Turkey. As Yassin spent 16 years of his youth in jail for his leftist political activities, he is the one who understands how life in confinement is like. At the very beginning of the film, Yassin stood in the rubble and made the striking analogy between life in the temporarily liberated Douma and life in jail. I imagine that in this any-space-whatever, if I may use this term again, freedom comes with such a high price and can only be obtained on a superficial level. Among heaps of debris or beehive-looking buildings, the images bring out an amazing amount of everyday calmness and admirable serenity. It is a good example of how documentary images, despite sensational and over-mediatised subject matter, can avoid practicing self-exoticism and stay grounded. This groundedness is quite opposite to the second film of my letter here, Monika Treut's Taiwan-German coproduction, Ghosted (2009).

I haven't done any research on this yet, but my feeling is that there is not a tremendous amount of cinematic collaboration between Germany and Taiwan, apart from Wim Wenders' general interest in Taiwanese cinema. I still vividly remember how the media in Taiwan was making a big fuss about it at the time of its making. It managed to attract so much attention partially because the main actress is the daughter of a current mayor of Taichung and a famous actress of the 70s, but more importantly, the media was overjoyed to see a German filmmaker taking interest in making a film in Taiwan. I will not go into the issue of media culture and intermingled working of inferiority and superiority complex here, but I think you know what I mean. As much as we both come from an institution which advocates transnational cinema and loves what boundary-crossing can do aesthetically, Ghosted is a very good example of how such a transnational production can go very wrong. The film's subject matter of a transnational lesbian love story between a German and a Taiwanese is quite new, but it is a huge disappointment in comparison to what I Don't Want To Sleep Alone (2006) managed to do. What I see was amateurish cinematography, carelessly designed lighting, incomprehensible editing and forced acting. What is most problematic, is the script which not only fails to discuss gender and identity issues, but also recycles all the clichés about intercultural communication and chance encounter. This Taiwan version of Die Jungfrauen Maschine (1988) lacks both audacity and sincerity. If it aims to do film tourism, its image of Taiwan is superficial and alienating. If it tries to create mystery, the dopplegänger device is hasty and unconvincing. Somehow I feel that it is like forcing Marcel Proust to reminisce about Chinese dumplings in A La Recherche du Temps Perdu.